Monday, May 27, 2013

Education is when you read the fine print, and experience is what you get when you don't.

Pete Seeger (edited)

This morning I saw a guy, younger than me, carrying two sea bags walking down the street. As I passed, I could tell he definitely didn't just get out of the service, but looked to me like he was in at one time. I flipped a bitch and asked him if he had served, he said yes, and then I asked him if he needed any help, which he also answered yes to. 
He explained to me he had lost his wife and kids awhile ago to problems you could attribute to his time in the Army. He was pretty torn up about this, and also told me that this wasn't the first time he had been homeless. I asked him if had gotten linked up with the VA, but I guess everyone's experience with VA varies, and he didn't have anything good to say about them. 
I gave him a ride to a campsite near a lake about 20 minutes away, my last $3.00, a therm-a-rest pad and about a gallon of water. 
Happy Memorial Day